E. John Madarang, M.D.
Board Certified Interventional Radiologist
E. John Madarang, M.D. specializes in neurointerventional surgery. A neurointerventional practice incorporates the performance and comprehensive management of all minimally invasive, image-guided procedures of the brain, head, neck and spine, which encompasses the consultation and management of diseases related to those procedures.
Dr. Madarang’s practice philosophy is to utilize the best evidence-based medicine to help guide his treatment decisions and to provide compassionate, timely, and cutting edge care to patients.
He is actively involved in teaching and research as an assistant professor at The University of Kansas Hospital.
The University of Kansas Hospital has been given the prestigious designation of Comprehensive Stroke Center by the American Stroke Association and is ranked as a top hospital for neurologic disease care by US News and World Report.
Dr. Madarang has completed fellowships in Neuroradiology, Vascular and Interventional Radiology and Neurointerventional Radiology and is board certified in these disciplines through the American Board of Radiology. He is also one of only a handful of senior members in the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (SNIS) practicing in the state of Kansas.
Dr. Madarang is dedicated to excellence in comprehensive, minimally-invasive care of patients with stroke, brain aneurysms, and many other diseases in the head, neck and spine. Some examples of the conditions he treats and procedures he performs include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations and fistulae and acute endovascular stroke interventions utilizing the newest technologies
- Diagnosis and treatment of carotid and intracranial stenosis/disease
including angioplasty and stenting
- Diagnostic carotid, cerebral, and spinal angiography with advanced 3D imaging technique capabilities including advanced Wada testing for epilepsy
- Preoperative endovascular or percutaneous embolization of intracranial, head and neck, and spinal tumors including intra-arterial treatment of brain tumors in selected patients
- Targeted radio frequency ablation of metastatic spinal tumors (STAR tumor ablation system)
- Direct inferior petrosal and parathyroid venous sampling for pituitary and parathyroid conditions
- Diagnosis and treatment of intracranial venous disease including
angiogplasty and stenting
- Percutaneous sclerotherapy of vascular malformations
- Neurointerventional pain management including vertebroplasty,
kyphoplasty (vertebral augmentation), spinal/joint injections, nerve blocks, sacroplasty
- Headaches treated via sphenopalatine ganglion block (Spenocath
- Complex CT and ultrasound-guided head and neck biopsies/aspirations, CT myelography, CT cisternography